Calendar

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

First Week of School


It has been such a pleasure getting to know your third graders. Currently, each class has 25 students, and what a great group of students!

During the past week, students have been busy building their reading stamina by practicing "Read to Self" and "Read to a Partner." They've also done a lot of community building with morning meetings, a BARK tour of school expectations, student interviews and introductions, collaborative art projects, and learning about a "fixed mindset" versus a "growth mindset."



Here are a just few learning targets that have been covered during the past week:


Math
  • I can write multiplication and division equations to match an array or equal group drawing.
  • I can skip count by tens and hundreds to 1000.
  • When I struggle, my brain is growing and synapses are firing to create pathways in the brain.
Reading 
  • I can ask questions about a story and use the text to answer them. 
  • I can describe how characters influence a story’s sequence of events.
  • I can distinguish one's own point of view from that of a character.
English Language Development (E.L.D)
  • I can ask and answer questions about what I do and don't want to do on the playground.
  • Students will use the conjunction because to explain why they do or don't like a certain activities.
  • I can use adverbs to introduce a friend.
  • Students will use the language from the week to write and perform a role play reenacting a short social exchange with a friend.
  • I can use greetings in a formal and informal way.
Character Trait for September: Cooperation 
  • I am cooperative when I work and play well with others.










Mrs. Long's Class, 1st Day of School!









No comments:

Post a Comment